Essentials to have on hand:
- Food (for humans and pets)
- Flashlights and those little battery operated portable lights. Many people like candles. For me, personally, it seems more like a fire hazard with kids running around.
- Matches/lighters/wood if you have a functional wood-burning fireplace
- Cash (it may come in handy if power goes out)
- Rock salt, shovels (one for each family member and a few extra ones)
- Full tank of gas
- Radio (L.L. Bean and others carry the crank ones that do not need batteries, also same goes for their flashlights)
- Keep everything on chargers until...
- If you have a generator, you should start it and make sure it works before the storm, have fuel available
- Roof rake (HERE are some good points before you use one though)
- Toilet paper (important)
- Medication/prescriptions you may need to get through the storm and at least few days beyond
- Emergency numbers for your utility providers (below are links for Franklin) and your insurance company (hopefully you will not need it)
BE SAFE AND DON'T FORGET TO CHECK IN ON YOUR NEIGHBORS!