- Fit exposed pipes with insulation sleeves.
- Seal air leaks surrounding or near pipes.
- Keep garage door closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Disconnect outdoor hoses and turn off water to exterior faucets and sprinkler systems.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate around the plumbing.
- Keep heat at 55 °F or above when out of town.
- During a cold spell turn on both hot and cold faucets near outside walls to allow small trickle of water overnight.
- Identify your main shutoff valves and make sure you have access to them to stop the flow if the pipe bursts.
Sunday, January 5, 2014
Frozen Water Pipes Prevention Tips
Posted by Renata Gilarova